Recipe by mailbelle
I live in the same area as American Idol Ruben Studdard (as well as Taylor Hicks and Bo Bice) and one of his favorite things to eat is Fried Green Tomatoes from local eatery Green Acres. The owner, Greg Gratton, provided the recipe to our local FOX affiliate, WBRC, and this recipe is from the WBRC website. I love to dip them in ranch dressing.
Top Review by Cinnamon Turtle
These were a nice accompaniment to dinner served with spicy remoulade. They were crisp on the outside and soft inside, just a FGTs should be. However, the breading had very little flavor of its own. I added old creole seasoning to half the batch, and these were much more popular. Made for Bargain Basement Tag Game.
Directions See How It's Made
- With water and flour, make a batter that is more watery than pasty.
- Slice green tomatoes very thin.
- Coat with the batter.
- Dredge through the cornmeal.
- Place in 100% pure vegetable oil, heated to 350 degrees.
- When tomatoes are golden brown, they're ready to eat!