Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Love these things, also like the fried cucumbers and hot peppers, just don't use the waxy hot peppers or the batter will not stick.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/3 slices
- 3 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Combine egg and milk and set aside. Mix cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper.
- Dip tomatoes into egg mixture, dredge in meal mixture.
- Arrange a single layer of tomatoes in a skillet and cook until golden brown on each side.
- Repeat with remaining tomatoes, adding oil if desired.
- This same recipe can be used for fried cucumbers or hot peppers.