Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a great recipe that makes a great side dish or can even be a stand alone lunch. This recipe is also versatile as you can substitute red tomatoes in place of the green tomatoes.
- Sift the flour, salt and pepper into a medium bowl.
- Add the cornmeal and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center.
- Combine the egg and milk and add gradually to flour mixture.
- Whisk the batter until just combined, but do not overbeat.
- Cut the tomatoes into thick slices.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in frying pan.
- Dip the tomatoes into the batter; drain excess and fry for 1 minute on each side, turning only once with tongs.
- Drain on paper towls and server immediately.