This recipe is from Bolivia. It is from geocities.com.
Make and share this Fried Bread (Bunuelo) recipe from Food.com.
- Put 1/4 of a cup of warm water and sugar in a bowl.
- Mix until the sugar dissolves and add the yeast.
- Let it soak for about 5 minutes after which you can add the rest of the water, salt, and eggs.
- Stir the mixture until it is foamy.
- Add the flour little by little, stirring by hand until you have a mixture that is more watery than dry.
- Let the dough rise to twice the size.
- When the dough looks like it is about to sink in the middle it is time to fry them.
- Heat oil in skillet, about 1/2 inch deep.
- Start getting the dough from the edges and move in towards the middle.
- Don't get the dough from various parts of the bowl, move through the dough in an orderly fashion.
- Use about 1 T dough for each bunuelo.
- Wet your fingertips with warm salt water and pick up the dough with your fingertips.
- Stretch the dough carefully to make a thin donut shape.
- Put it in the boiling oil and let it brown.
- Flip it over with a stick until it is spongy and brown.
- Take out bunuelo and put it on a strainer. and then on a paper towel.
- They are delicious hot and can be covered with honey or powdered sugar.