Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is adapted from The Africa Cookbook by Jessica B. Harris
- olive oil (for frying)
- 1 cup cornflour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white rum
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or deep fryer to 375°F.
- Mix the corn flour and sugar together in a bowl.
- Add the butter, egg, salt, rum and milk, stirring constantly until you have a thick batter.
- Peel the bananas, cut them into quarters, and sprinkle them with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
- Roll the banana quarters in the batter and dip them into the hot oil a few at a time.
- Fry them for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, turning once until they are golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper and dust with the cinnamon sugar.
- Serve warm.
Excellent Recipe! I used light brown sugar, I didn't have the dark sugar. I rolled some of them in crushed cashew nuts after frying! I keep them warm in a 250* oven and served with pancakes!