Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
For the apple pie filling
- 2 apples, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the cheesecake filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄4 vanilla bean
- 1 pinch cinnamon
For the wontons
- spring roll wrappers (at least 4-inch diameter)
- bowl water
- canola oil, for frying
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cinnamon
- caramel ice cream topping, garnish
- – Make the cheesecake filling.
- Soften the cream cheese with a hand mixer, then beat in the sweetened condensed milk.
- Scrape out vanilla seeds from the bean and add to the mixture, along with cinnamon.
- Beat until all incorporated, and then set in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- – Make the apple pie filling.
- Add apples to a small pot, and heat on medium until things start to brown. Stir in the butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and cook, stirring every couple of minutes, until the apples are softened.
- Then keep heating, stirring every few minutes, until most of the liquid is gone.
- – Assembling the wontons
- Take a spring roll wrapper and moisten on both sides by dipping your fingers in water and then manually moistening the wrappers.
- Note: It may take a few tries to find the right amount of water to use, so that the wrappers are pliable without tearing but not too gummy. I suggest practicing a few times before adding filling.
- Then spoon in the center the cheesecake filling, and then top with the apple pie filling.
- To roll the wrappers, fold opposite sides over to the middle, then fold the perpendicular sides inches
- You may want to moisten the back just slightly to make sure it is all together.
- You should have a nice rectangular sized packet filled with apple cinnamon cheesecake goodness and lay it folded side down and fill the rest.
- – Deep frying
- Fill a pot with at least 2 inches of oil, and use a thermometer attached to your pot to keep track of the temperature.
- You want the temp to be between 340F and 350°F
- While the oil is heating up, mix cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl.
- Place wonton/s in pot (if you can handle frying more than one at a time - great!) and fry on one side for about 1 minute and then turn and fry on other side for another minute.
- Scoop it out with the slotted spatula and immediately lay it in the cinnamon sugar.
- Spoon cinnamon sugar over the wontons, and then set aside to cool.
- – To serve - Arrange 2 - 3 wonton pillows on plate and drizzle with caramel sauce. Enjoy!