Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this recipe online and it turned out pretty good. I have a fondness for fresh peas so I haven't tried it yet with frozen.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced (fairly thin)
- 1 large potato, cubed (thin skinned)
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 small cauliflower, broken into flowerets
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green peas (haven't found frozen I liked yet)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Sometimes I add a hot pepper sauce for some bite.
- In a 5-qt pan over med heat, melt butter.
- Add onion, celery and carrot.
- Cook, stir occasionally, until veggies are soft but not brown (10 min).
- Add potato, tomatoes, stock, basil to pan.
- Bring to boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and zucchini and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add peas and simmer for about 5 minutes or until all veggies are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with cheese.
I have been making this recipe for about 15 years from a recipe in a Sunset cookbook I had. It is healthy and flavorful and a stable in my household. I follow the recipe exactly.
This was amazing!!! I happened to have homemade stock in the freezer so I used that. I left out the potato & added 1 cup egg noodles to make it a little heartier. I also used 5 cups stock instead of 4. Delicious & healthy-thanks!!
Delicious soup!! I love the basil and the cauliflower, they give the soup a unique flavor!! I love all the chunky vegetables!!! I left off the cheese but I am going to use it for the leftovers tomorrow night!! Loved this wonderful soup, thanks!!