Healthy Black Bean Soup With Turkey Sausage
I made this one night as an experiment and it turned out pretty good.
- Ready In:
- 6 ounces turkey sausage, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth, fat free
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- Spray a soup pan with cooking spray and bring up to medium high heat. Add onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the sausage and cook for another two minutes. Add the bell pepper and garlic. Cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, cumin, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add chipotle and beans. Cook covered for about 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a sprinkle of Cilantro or some fat free sour cream.
- **Variation Idea: I have tried this as a smooth soup -- brown off the turkey in a separate pan, following all of the other directions up until the point the beans are added. I use a hand held blender to blend up the soup. Afterwards I add the turkey and some additional beans to give a little texture.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION