Top Review by Amiga001
Outstanding tomato sauce My family, friends and neighbors always keep me supplied with homegrown vegetables and I canâ€™t use all the tomatoes so I decided to try this recipe for tomato sauce and freeze what I couldnâ€™t use. Itâ€™s just wonderful and freezes perfectly in a Zipper Top freezer bag. I double bag to make sure the sauce is fresh for a long time. Thanks for this excellent recipe.
- 4 lbs roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded at chopped (See peeling directions below)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 pinch sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Peeling tomatoes: Drop tomatoes into a pot of boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Take them out of the pot and immediately drop into ice water. After they're cooled a bit you will be able to peel the skin off with the help of a paring knife.
- Place chopped tomatoes in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and let drain for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a medium sauté pan. Sauté onion in oil for 5 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flake for last minute. Add tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper and sugar. Allow to simmer slowly for 30 minutes. Add parsley at the end. Adjust seasonings to your taste.