Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from Cooking Light Magazine. This is great for using up those abundant harvests of home-grown tomatoes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 7 cups chopped peeled tomatoes (about 4 pounds)
- 2⁄3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- cooking spray
- 8 cooked lasagna noodles
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil
- Heat oil in small Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook 10 minute or till tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour 20 minutes or till slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat. Stir in 2/3 cup basil, 2/3 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat ricotta in a medium sauce pan over medium heat till hot. Stir in mozzarella, stirring till melted. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining salt and pepper.
- Spread 2 cups tomato mixture in bottom of 13 x 9 casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half the noodles over tomato mixture. Top with ricotta mixture. Arrange remaining noodles over ricotta mixture. Top with remaining 2 cups tomato mixture. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or till cheese melts and filling is bubbly. Remove from oven. Sprinlke with 1 tablespoon basil. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Above is the recipe as printed in Cooking Light Magazine. I modified it as bit as follows, with excellent results: I used 12 noodles and made three layers. I used dry basil. I omitted garlic.