Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A sweet, spicy condiment which can be served with many grilled sandwiches or used in place of red pepper jelly for your appetizers.
- 6 -8 roma tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 lemons, juiced (approx. 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp.)
- 900 g sugar
- To peel tomatoes, add to boiling water for about 1 minute, rinse in cold water, then remove the skins.
- Quarter the tomatoes.
- Over medium low heat, simmer with remaining ingredients, stirring frequently, until liquid is mostly reduced, around 1 hour.
- If using right away, refrigerate.
- If canning, place in sterilized jars and seal.
For all my recent canning efforts, I've gone from a complete canning dufus to a partial canning dufus. Wonderful!