2 hrs 20 mins
If possible try to make this a day ahead and refrigerate, the flavors intensify strongly overnight --- ladle this in bowls and top with cheddar cheese
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 lbs sirloin, cut into about 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 2 cups water (or use 1 cup water and 1 cup beer)
- 2 -3 tablespoons cumin (can use more to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder (I use ancho chili powder in place of the chili powder)
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (can use more)
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste (YES 3 cans!)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 -4 medium tomatoes, diced (use very red and ripe tomatoes for this)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 4 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups beef broth (more if needed to thin)
- grated cheddar cheese
- 1Heat oil in a large heavy pot.
- 2Add in ground beef; cook for 5 minutes.
- 3Add in the cubed sirloin, crushed red pepper flakes and fresh garlic and brown about 5 minutes.
- 4Add in 2 cups beer or water; bring to a boil.
- 5Add in cumin, ancho chili or chili powder, oregano, salt and cayenne pepper; reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 6Add in tomato paste and sugar; simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- 7Add in chopped tomatoes, onions and green peppers; simmer for about 50-60.
- 8Add in drained black beans, beef broth, starting with 2 cups adding in more to thin to desired consistancy; simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 9Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Tomato Beef and Black Bean Chili
Serving Size: 1 (596 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 880.1
- Calories from Fat 384
- Total Fat 42.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 174.5 mg
- Sodium 2228.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.4 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 68.6 g