Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
If possible try to make this a day ahead and refrigerate, the flavors intensify strongly overnight --- ladle this in bowls and top with cheddar cheese
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin, cut into about 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 2 cups water (or use 1 cup water and 1 cup beer)
- 2 -3 tablespoons cumin (can use more to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder (I use ancho chili powder in place of the chili powder)
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (can use more)
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste (YES 3 cans!)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 -4 medium tomatoes, diced (use very red and ripe tomatoes for this)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 4 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups beef broth (more if needed to thin)
- grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot.
- Add in ground beef; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the cubed sirloin, crushed red pepper flakes and fresh garlic and brown about 5 minutes.
- Add in 2 cups beer or water; bring to a boil.
- Add in cumin, ancho chili or chili powder, oregano, salt and cayenne pepper; reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add in tomato paste and sugar; simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Add in chopped tomatoes, onions and green peppers; simmer for about 50-60.
- Add in drained black beans, beef broth, starting with 2 cups adding in more to thin to desired consistancy; simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.