Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great way to use fresh strawberries.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, cut in half lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, chilled
- Beat 1/4 cup softened butter at medium speed with an electric mixer; gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating well.
- Add egg and vanilla, beating well.
- Combine 1 1/4 cup flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Arrange strawberries on top, cut side down.
- Combine 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup sugar; cut in 1/4 cup chilled butter with pastry blender until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over strawberries.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
This topped off our day of gorging for the 4th of July. Our fresh berries were so juicy and sweet. This really was an easy, delicious way to enjoy them. I spooned a little Cool Whip on top of each serving. Highlight to a day of feasting. Thanks.
This was so easy and the taste was scrumptious. This was our dessert for our Memorial Day cook-out. Thank goodness I made two of these. My crowd gobbled these up. Thanks again for an easy, delicious recipe.
Made this for my family, another recipe that didn't last! I've also asked recipezaar for amount of baking powder since it wasn't listed I used 2 tsp. We have tons of strawberries and this will be a recipe I'll use to put a dent in our freezer supply.