Recipe by RubySue
This is based on a recipe from "The Italian Country Table: Home Cooking from Italy's Farmhouse Kitchens" by Lynne Rossetto Kasper (William Morrow, 1992). It is a mild creamy (without cream) soup and makes a great lunch or light supper on its own.
- 20 garlic cloves (2 heads)
- 4 cups water, in 2 qt. sauce pan
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped (2 medium onions)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 sage leaves
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large croutons (to garnish)
- 8 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate the cloves from each head of garlic. Do not peel. Drop in the garlic cloves in boiling water and boil 10 minutes.
- Drain them and peel. Do not discard water.
- Return the garlic cloves to the saucepan, and add the onion, olive oil, sage, and stock.
- Bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat.
- Partially cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Uncover, reduce heat to low boil and cook another 5 minutes.
- Remove 5 sage leaves, and purée the soup.
- Season to taste. Arrange the croutons in warmed soup dishes, and pour the soup over them.
- Garnish with cheese and serve immediately.