Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
The sweet warm figs and tangy melted cheese are an interesting combination.
Top Review by wphraner
These were really good! They sound like an odd combination. My husband wasn't enamored with the idea of these...until he ate a piece. He ended up loving it! I did too. We will make these again for sure.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 (9 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups coarsely shredded cheese (recommended Spanish Manchego, aged Cheddar, California Dry Jack, or Monterey Jack)
- 1 cup trimmed and diced firm ripe green figs or 1 cup black fig
- 2 tablespoons minced red onions
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°; brush a large baking sheet with olive oil.
- Place the tortillas on the baking sheet.
- Spread ¼ cup of the cheese on the bottom half of each tortilla.
- Add a layer of figs (use about ¼ cup for each tortilla).
- Sprinkle each with about ½ tablespoons red onion and ½ tablespoon cilantro; then top with ¼ cup of the remaining cheese.
- Fold the tortilla over to make half-circles; press down lightly.
- Bake about 8 minutes or until the tortillas are golden brown on the bottom.
- Using a wide spatula, carefully turn the tortillas over; bake another 3 minutes or until the bottoms are golden.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Transfer the quesadillas to a cutting board; cut (using a knife or scissors) each one into 4 wedges.
- Serve immediately.