Recipe by Kishka
I am something of a basil addict, and this salad is the reason. Even if you're tempted, don't use canned or frozen corn - it's just not the same! From Barefoot Contessa.
Top Review by Mirj
Confession time: We were invited out for lunch on Saturday and my hostess told me "Bring a salad". This was the salad I brought. It was such a hit, I took all the credit myself! But Kisha, I give you credit here, this salad is wonderful. Another confession, I used frozen corn, had a bag in the freezer. I just nuked it for a few minutes. If the salad was this good with frozen corn, imagine how wonderful it would be with the fresh stuff. I used mostly cider vinegar, but about 1 tablespoon was balsamic, which gave it such a lovely, sweet/tart taste. I'm going to be making this again for sure, and will make sure to use fresh corn next time! Thanks for posting this recipe!
- 5 ears corn, shucked
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chiffonade (chopped into strips)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Set aside.
- Boil the corn in a large pot of salted water for 3-5 minutes, just until it loses its' starchiness.
- Drain corn and prevent further cooking by plunging into the bowl of ice water.
- When corn has cooled, cut the kernels off the cob.
- Toss the cut corn with the onions, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add the fresh basil just before serving.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.