Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
I am something of a basil addict, and this salad is the reason. Even if you're tempted, don't use canned or frozen corn - it's just not the same! From Barefoot Contessa.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Set aside.
- Boil the corn in a large pot of salted water for 3-5 minutes, just until it loses its' starchiness.
- Drain corn and prevent further cooking by plunging into the bowl of ice water.
- When corn has cooled, cut the kernels off the cob.
- Toss the cut corn with the onions, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add the fresh basil just before serving.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
Confession time: We were invited out for lunch on Saturday and my hostess told me "Bring a salad". This was the salad I brought. It was such a hit, I took all the credit myself! But Kisha, I give you credit here, this salad is wonderful. Another confession, I used frozen corn, had a bag in the freezer. I just nuked it for a few minutes. If the salad was this good with frozen corn, imagine how wonderful it would be with the fresh stuff. I used mostly cider vinegar, but about 1 tablespoon was balsamic, which gave it such a lovely, sweet/tart taste. I'm going to be making this again for sure, and will make sure to use fresh corn next time! Thanks for posting this recipe!
Great salad. I cut back on one ear of corn & substituted a cucumber to add color/texture. My son thought it was a little sweet, so I may substitute rice wine vinegar for the cider vinegar next time.
Good! Nice fresh side dish when summer grilling. Fresh corn made this dish very sweet. Thanks for sharing the recipe!