Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have had this recipe in my file for a number of years, I don't know the origin. My family loves the flavor but the cookies are hard to make and handle so I turned it into bars. The bars are much easier to make and handle. We most often omit the glaze because it can be too sweet; although powdered sugar sprinkled on the cooled bars would dress them up for guests.
- 473.18 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 118.29 ml softened butter
- 314.66 ml brown sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml clove
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 59.14 ml apple cider (you can use apple juice or milk)
- 236.59 ml finely chopped peeled apple (minced)
- 236.59 ml powdered sugar
- 14.79 ml butter
- 1.23 ml vanilla
- 22.18 ml milk
- Glaze: Blend with spoon until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Sift flour and baking soda together, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar with electric mixer.
- Blend in salt, spices, and egg.
- Add half the flour mixture and blend well.
- Blend in half the apple cider.
- Add the chopped apples to the remaining flour mixture and stir to coat.
- Add this and the remaining apple cider to the creamed mixure and stir by hand.
- For cookies: Drop by VERY small spoonful on cookie sheet and bake 8-9 minutes.
- Remove from sheet while still warm (be very careful they are very hard to handle) and glaze while barely warm.
- For bars: Spread in a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until they test done with toothpick.
- Cut while barely warm.
I made these as bars and they were not crumbly at all. Moist and the fresh apples were a nice touch. A little spicy for me. Next time I will delete the cloves and use 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. I like the cinnamon amount.
just exceelnt in flavor! One thing is mine was alittle on the crumbly side, so next time I will add another egg. We all really enjoyed this wonderful bar. I will be making it again! It is easy too. What I did different, instead of milk in the frosting, I added apple cider instead. I halved the frosting part, just to drizzle a small mount on top, it was perfect. A Very nice recipe CJ !!!
Wonderful!!!! Nice and moist as well!