Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Found this in a Southern cookbook by Miss Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock, and I can't really put how good this tasted into words. I KNOW you folks will like this one.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 fresh apples, peeled and diced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄4 cups coarsley chopped pecans
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Put sugars and vegetable oil in a mixing bowl, beat til very well blended.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, and gradually stir into sugar and eggs, mixing til just blended.
- Stir in apples, pecans, and vanilla.
- Pour into buttered and floured 9x13" baking pan, and bake in oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (about 1h 15 min.), begin checking after about 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- While cake is cooling, make glaze, by melting butter in saucepan, add both sugars and salt.
- Stir til blended and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Stir in cream, cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Use a skewer or toothpick and poke holes all over top of cake, then pour warm glaze all over surface.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
This cake was a hit at Rosh Hashanah. I added a couple of tablespoons of apple rum, only because I bought a bottle for a different recipe. It's soooo good and tastes even better the next day! Thanks for sharing...
This cake is a huge hit with family & guests! I was just going to post this, but glad someone else has posted! I do do a couple of things different: I omit the nuts, sometimes add an extra granny smith apple, & I like to add more cinnamon. We like to eat it, hot, cold, room temp, with the caramel glaze, with a dollop of whip cream on top, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream~ we just like to eat this cake!! It's a perfect fall treat.
My friend made this and it was phenomenal. So moist not too sweet. The only thing was the caramel sauce wasn't as caramel as I'd like. But will definitely make it again.