Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
"Think of this as a healthier pound cake with a bit more going on (thanks to yogurt and lemon zest)." Taken from Bon Appetit May '12.
- nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3⁄4 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat pan with vegetable oil spray. Dust with flour; tap out excess.
- Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and kosher salt in a medium bowl.
- Using your fingers, rub sugar with lemon zest in a large bowl until sugar is moist. Add yogurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract; whisk to blend. Fold in dry ingredients just to blend.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until top of cake is golden brown and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, 50–55 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert onto rack; let cool completely.
- DO AHEAD: Can be made 3 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
This was wonderful - silky and light. I baked in a 20cm round ring tin and it only took 40 minutes. I served it warm with butter, DH and kids all loved it. Made for ZWT8 French leg, The Fearless Red Dragons.
One word...divine! It is such a perky flavored cake and not overly sweet which we adore! It has a nice soft texture but is solid when cut so it does not fall apart. Not one little thing went wrong when making it - it was a breeze to throw together. We tried it plain, with ice cream on top and then with some Strawberry Coulis (Recipe #373597) and they were all just wonderful. Found and made during the ZWT8 tour.
This recipe makes a perfect, soft and silky cake and is wonderfully easy to do. We all loved it !! Made for ZWT8.