Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
"Think of this as a healthier pound cake with a bit more going on (thanks to yogurt and lemon zest)." Taken from Bon Appetit May '12.
- nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3⁄4 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat pan with vegetable oil spray. Dust with flour; tap out excess.
- Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and kosher salt in a medium bowl.
- Using your fingers, rub sugar with lemon zest in a large bowl until sugar is moist. Add yogurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract; whisk to blend. Fold in dry ingredients just to blend.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until top of cake is golden brown and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, 50–55 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert onto rack; let cool completely.
- DO AHEAD: Can be made 3 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
This was wonderful - silky and light. I baked in a 20cm round ring tin and it only took 40 minutes. I served it warm with butter, DH and kids all loved it. Made for ZWT8 French leg, The Fearless Red Dragons.
One word...divine! It is such a perky flavored cake and not overly sweet which we adore! It has a nice soft texture but is solid when cut so it does not fall apart. Not one little thing went wrong when making it - it was a breeze to throw together. We tried it plain, with ice cream on top and then with some Strawberry Coulis (Raspberry or Strawberry Coulis) and they were all just wonderful. Found and made during the ZWT8 tour.
This recipe makes a perfect, soft and silky cake and is wonderfully easy to do. We all loved it !! Made for ZWT8.