Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
One of my favorite desserts---a real comfort food. My Grandma made this for most family get-togethers and this is her recipe. A great dessert to bring for a buffet meal or potluck. Cook time does not include time to let the dessert chill and set in the refridgerator.
- For crust: Mix flour and softened butter.
- Add pecans and mixture should be crumbly and a bit dry.
- Press into a 9X13 greased pan and bake at 325 for 10-15 minutes until very lightly brown.
- Let cool.
- Mix 2 packages of pudding with 3 cups milk.
- Let set.
- Mix together 8 oz.
- cream cheese, sugar, and 1 tablespoon milk.
- Fold in 1 cup cool whip and spread mixture onto cooled crust.
- Add pudding for the next layer and spread evenly over cream cheese layer.
- Add remaining cool whip on top and chill before serving for at least 2 hours.
This is an old family favorite that my grandma always made for holidays and everyone loves it. It is so light and refreshing. I made it with walnuts instead of pecans and lemon pudding instead of vanilla. I chopped the nuts very fine and sprinkled some extra chopped walnuts on top and it looked so pretty. I cut it into 24 squares. Another reviewer said it was sloppy; you have to make sure you let the pudding set first before spreading it on. And the cool whip has to be nice and soft. I didn't allow the 2 hour chill time at the end but just stuck it in the freezer for 20 minutes and it was perfect. My guests all loved it and were so excited when I sent some home with them.
I made this recipe yesterday for a potluck. I am not sure what went wrong. The pudding never really set. By the time I added the cool whip on top, the pudding wanted to swirl into the topping. When I arrived at my destination. The dessert was very soupy. I respread the topping and refrigerated again for over 2 hrs. I then tasted and did not like the cookie texture. So, my friends thought we should put in the freezer. This helped a little. Freezing did help the cookie bottom somehow. But as the dessert sat out it became soupy again. Today I tasted the left-overs and I think its good. It just dosen't look pretty.
Easy to make, hubby loved it. Was a great addition to our July 4th get together.