I used to get a tuna and rice salad at a small French bistro and was sad when the restaurant closed. I have been trying to find a similar recipe for years and finally found it from Debra Fioritto Weber. I made a few small changes, such as replacing gherkins with capers and adding tarragon to the vinaigrette.
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 1⁄4 cups long-grain white rice
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 4 ounces kalamata olives or 4 ounces nicoise olives, halved and pitted
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna in water, drained
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Combine ingredients for the vinaigrette and whisk or shake well.
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Drain well and while still hot mix with some of the vinaigrette.
- Season with salt and pepper and let cool.
- When the rice is cool, add the remaining ingredients and vinaigrette.
- season with salt and pepper to taste.