Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is so great for a special breakfast or brunch! COOKS NOTE: Cooking time includes overnight set up for egg mixture.
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 baguette, in 1-inch-thick slices
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier (optional)
- 1 large orange, zest of, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- additional maple syrup (optional) or sour cream (optional) or creme fraiche, for serving (optional)
- cooking spray or butter
- Butter or lightly spray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- In small saucepan, combine corn syrup, maple syrup, butter and brown sugar, and simmer over medium heat, stirring, until smooth.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan. Place bread slices in one layer in syrup mixture.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, Grand Marnier (if using), orange zest and salt. Pour evenly over bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees. While oven preheats, bring baking dish to room temperature.
- Bake French toast 45 minutes, or until puffy and golden.
- Cut into squares and serve immediately with additional maple syrup, or with a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche.