Recipe by Diane R
This fabulous french toast bake is simple to make, saves tons of time and isn't loaded with waist enhancers! It's a great everyday staple, we often cut it in half to use up partial loaves of bread that go stale. The original recipe came from Quick Cooking, we modified it slightly but we still love the cinnamonny goodness!
- 10 cups stale bread, cubed
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar (I omit if using a sweet bread)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (omit if using cinnamon bread)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9 in baking dish.
- Beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon and salt if using.
- Pour mixture evenly over bread cubes.
- Press down slightly on bread to even out in pan, cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. (Original recipe called for dotting with 2T. butter, and a cinnamon-sugar topping I omit this, adding all the cinnamon and some sugar to the egg mixture).
- Cover and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve with syrup if desired.