Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a different kind of pie ;) From Saveur
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 lbs kabocha squash or 3 lbs cheese pumpkin, seeded, peeled, and diced
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, shelled and chopped
- 2 sheets puff pastry, 7 1/2 inch by 14 1/2 inch sheets
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt your butter.
- Once melted, add pumpkin and apples, and allow them to cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add sugar and vanilla beans, and scrape browned bits from bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon.
- Cover your skillet, and cook until pumpkin and apples are very soft and jammy but still holding their shape, about 30 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- When cool, discard vanilla beans and stir in pecans.
- Next, you will want to preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Roll out 1 sheet of puff pastry into a square on a lightly floured surface.
- Using an 11'' tart ring as a guide, cut out a circle and set aside.
- Roll out the remaining sheet of pastry into a square and then ease pastry into the tart ring, and set on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Trim edges to overhang by 1/4''.
- Then fill your pastry with pumpkin mixture, lay reserved pastry circle over filling and tuck edge of top pastry between filling and bottom pastry, and brush surface with egg. Fold overhanging bottom pastry back over top pastry. ].
- Bake until deep golden, 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Make this the day you plan to serve it.