Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Creamy, starchy, yummy, major comfort food!
- 10 medium potatoes, about 2 pounds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 dash grated nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Peel and slice potatoes thinly.
- Use a food processor if available.
- Lightly grease an ovenproof casserole.
- Layer potato slices in casserole, sprinkling each layer with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Press garlic over mixture.
- Add cream and milk.
- You may prepare ahead of time up to this step.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 40 minutes, or until potatoes are soft and creamy and golden brown on surface.
There is no better way to prepare a gratin - I love your recipe! It is soft in the middle but crunchy in the edges. Who needs meet, if you can have this dish? Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, Mirj! the size of the pan wasn't specified. I ended up using 2 gratin dishes then forgot to measure the liquid, lol. It took longer to cook but was heavenly when done (in about an hour). The nutmeg was really nice & the garlic was perfect. Very easy even though I sliced teh spuds by hand...cut them in half so there is a flat side & it's easy. It took longer to layer! But well worth it. I'm glad I ended up w/2 pans because we had 1 w/dinner & 1 for breakfast, lol!!! Made for Kitchen Witches ZWT5! xo Bethie
Yummmmmm! I had larger potatoes, so I used only eight. I loved nutmeg and garlic. I even resisted my urge to add cheese and I still thought this was terrific. Thanx for sharing.