Recipe by Debala
I found this recipe years ago (don't remember where) and it's my favorite beef stew recipe. I use low sodium tomato juice because otherwise it's just too salty.
Top Review by Johnsdeere
This was a tasty stew. Rather than using low-sodium tomato juice, I used the regular kind and omitted the salt the recipe called for. I think next time I will add the additional salt as well. Both my husband and I felt that more salt was needed for this dish. Rather than making this with a 2 1/2lb roast I will use Stew meat next time to ensure that the meat is tender and absorbs all the flavors in this dish. The three hours didn't seem to allow the roast to become tender as we like it. Thank you for sharing this dish. :) I made this for PAC fall 2009.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef roast
- 10 ounces peas and pearl onions, frozen
- 4 carrots, quartered
- 4 -5 potatoes, chunked
- 6 ounces mushrooms, trimmed
- 3 large celery ribs
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-sodium tomato juice
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 300°.
- Mix all ingredients (except peas and pearl onions) into a heavy 3 quart oven proof sauce pot.
- Cover and bake, stirring 3 times, 3 hours or until meat is tender and sauce thickened.
- Add peas and onions 1 hour before stew is done.
- Discard bay leaves before stirring.