Recipe by MarraMamba
one of Top Chef judge Tom Colicchio's sandwich'es from his Wichcraft restaurant. Add lettuce, spinach or anything else you like but its great plain. caramelizing the onions takes time but worth it. (you can also do a double batch and freeze half for another time)
Top Review by jlab
To.Die.For. I shred the Gruyere, because I like it to completely melt. Let the onions caramelize, add a tiny bit of sugar in the last few minutes of cooking, then sort of pile them up in the pan, stick the butter on top of the pile and let it melt down while I get the other stuff ready. Caraway seeds in the bread are essential!
- 8 slices aged gruyere cheese (minimum)
- 8 slices rye bread, with caraway seeds
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced thinly lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Over a medium-high flame, heat the oil and add the onions. Cook them slowly (make sure the heat is high enough that they don’t steam) and allow them to gently caramelize, about 30 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and the butter at the end to season.
- Assemble the sandwich. On a slice of rye, layer cheese, onions, and a second layer of cheese. Cover with the second slice of rye. Place on a panini grill and press. Sandwich is ready when the cheese has melted.