1/2 Photos of French Onion Soup
1 hr 5 mins
Mother Martin's restaurant in Montreal, Canada makes the best onion soup ever - more savoury than sweet! This recipe is the closest to it that I've ever tasted & came from a French Canadian friend who lived in Quebec City. The number of servings will depend on the size of your bowls & the thickness of the French bread. Use Swiss or Gruyere if you prefer -its your choice ..... Bon Appetit!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 large onions, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 dash salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- French bread
- parmesan cheese
- mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon cognac (optional)
- 1Saute onions in butter until limp.
- 2Add flour, salt, pepper, garlic & sugar.
- 3Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes.
- 4Add parsley flakes, thyme, beef stock, chicken stock& wine.
- 5Simmer for 45 minutes.
- 6Add Cognac.
- 7Toast French bread & place in the bottom of ovenproof soup bowls.
- 8Sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese.
- 9Ladle soup into bowls.
- 10Top with Mozzarella cheese (thin slice or grated).
- 11Place under broiler until cheese melts & soup bubbles.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.2
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 1.8 mg
- Sodium 680.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 4.5 g