Recipe by Bertha C.
One last comfort food for January.
Top Review by ~Nimz~
This was a very nice Onion Soup, however, for our preference the grape juice made it just a little too sweet and I only used 1/2 the amount stated due to calorie concerns. I also used Provolone cheese as that is what I had on hand. Thanks for sharing. Made for Cookbook tage gaem in the Game Forum.
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 3 large onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups beef broth (I use 3 cans beef boullion and 1 cup water with a boullion cube)
- 1 cup grape juice
- 6 slices French bread, toasted lightly (1" thick)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated gruyere or 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan, heat butter and saute the onions on low heat for 20-30 minutes until soft and golden brown, stirring often.
- Add the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and cook another 4-5 minutes.
- Add beef broth and grape juice.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning.
- (Can be made ahead up to this point.) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place soup in 6 ovenproof bowls.
- Top each bowl with a slice of French bread and about 1/4 cup grated cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes until cheese has melted.
- Serve at once.
- Serves 6.