Recipe by Charlotte J
Here is the original recipe from my sister-in-law. I also posted the one with all the changes we made named what else but....French Onion Soup II.
Top Review by Suzie
Hmmmm. DH followed the recipe exactly, but we were quite disappointed. Tasted very bland. We used low sodium beef broth and bullion, but then I had to add some salt to try and perk it up a bit. Didn't help. Thanks, though, for sharing your recipe.
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash pepper
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 slices French bread (toasted)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion in butter in 5 quart Dutch oven over low heat for 15 minutes or until onions are golden brown and tender.
- Stir in broth, bouillon cube, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes.
- In medium bowl combine cheeses.
- Ladle soup into six oven proof bowls, top with a slice of toasted bread.
- Sprinkle 2 Tbsps of cheese mix on top of bread.
- Place bowls on foil lined cookie sheet.
- Broil 3-5 inches from the heat 1-3 minutes until cheese is bubbly.