Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A Nigel Slater recipe from his weekly column in The Observer magazine.
For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 100 ml olive oil
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
For the salad
- 200 g French beans
- 1 medium fennel bulb
- 4 cups small salad leaves (rocket and watercress work well)
- 2 slices white bread
- oil, for frying
- parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Trim the beans and boil them for 4-5 minutes until just tender.
- Drain under cold water.
- Halve the fennel bulb and shred it finely.
- Make the dressing by whisking the vinegar, mustard and egg yolk together.
- Season with salt and pepper and then beat in the oil and cheese until it is thick and creamy.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and then set aside for a few minutes.
- Cut the bread into small squares and fry in shallow oil until golden.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Mix the salad leaves, beans and fennel together with the dressing.
- Pile on plates and shave a bit more Parmesan over the salad.
- Sprinkle the hot croutons over the salad and eat immediately.