Recipe by Olha
This quick pasta dish, cooked all in one pan, will be a real family pleaser. For an Italian version, substitute 1 tsp. Italian herb seasoning for the chili powder, use Italian style stewed tomatoes and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese for the Monterey Jack cheese. Serve with crusty rolls.
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, preferably Mexican style 398 mL
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup elbow macaroni or 1 cup wagon wheel macaroni
- 1 cup fresh green beans or 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- salt and pepper
AFTER FREEZING OR BEFORE SERVING
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook chicken with garlic over medium high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Bring to a boil. Stir in macaroni and green beans; bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until the pasta and beans are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If freezing, see “to freeze” section below, otherwise proceed with Step 3.
- Serve sprinkled with cheese.
- TO FREEZE: Let pasta mixture cool. Spoon into freezer containers, seal, date and label. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- TO SERVE: Thaw in microwave or in refrigerator overnight. Reheat in baking dish at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Proceed with Step 3, above. Serves 4.
- The Freezer Cookbook.