Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 4 cups thinly-sliced cucumbers, 3/16 inch thick
- 1 cup thinly-sliced onion
- 1 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons pickling salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Place the cucumbers, onion and sweet pepper in a large nonreactive (glass or plastic) container.
- Sprinkle with salt and mix well.
- Let stand for 3 hours, stirring occasionally, drain.
- Rinse twice and drain thoroughly.
- Heat the vinegar in a microwave oven for 30 seconds or warm it slightly on the stove top.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and turmeric in a small bowl, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over the vegetables and mix well.
- Pack the vegetables into small freezer containers.
- Divide the liquid and pour it over the pickles.
- Seal tightly and freeze.
- Store the pickles in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Once thawed, use them within several days before they lose their crunch.