Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
This is a nice hearty warming fun flavorful fiber filled soup. It's adapted from a recipe I found in a Coca Cola cookbook. I'm sure you could play with it even more than I did adding garlic, carrots etc. It can also be made with a ham or beef bone omitting the bouillon cubes. It didn't specify the type of lentils but looking at the cooking time I surmised it was a whole type. I used whole red lentils (Masoor) which turned out perfect! I also added in some cooked crumbled bacon per my husband's request and it was great in it.
- 16 ounces whole dried lentils, picked over, washed and drained
- 2 medium onions, chopped (I used white)
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped (I used dried)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 10 cups water
- 2 cups Coca-Cola
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 -3 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 12 ounces frankfurters, sliced (I used 100% beef, skinless, reduced fat)
- cooking spray
- Combine all ingredients except the frankfurters and spray oil in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, turn down heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 2 hours.
- Coat a skillet lightly with spray oil, brown sliced frankfurters in it.
- Add browned frankfurter slices to soup and cook an additional 10 minutes.