Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've tried a lot of the potato salad recipes here at Recipezaar, but I keep coming back to my mother's recipe. It is simple, and it's the best. My father asks me to make it for him on a weekly basis, as my mother passed away years ago. I use Duke's or Hellman's mayonnaise for the best flavor. And I like to use the sweetest onion available so that it doesn't overpower the potatoes. Vidalias are the best when you can get them.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons tarragon vinegar or 3 tablespoons white vinegar (is ok too)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled,sliced and cooked
- 2 cups chopped celery
- paprika, to taste
- Cook potatoes and allow them to cool.
- In a large bowl, stir together mayonnaise, onion, vinegar, salt, pepper, pickle relish and chopped eggs.
- Add potatoes and celery.
- Toss to coat well.
- Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Sprinkle with paprika before serving.