Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The coolness of the yogurt complements the spiciness of this dish nicely.
Make and share this Fragrant Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 inches piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, partially thawed
- 1⁄4 cup raisins, soaked in warm water and drained (regular or golden)
- 3 -4 cups warm cooked jasmine rice
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- Coarsely process the 1st nine ingredients (onion through salt) with 2 Tbsp water in a blender or food processor.
- In a 12-inch skillet or sauté pan, saute sliced onion in oil over medium high heat until onion turns golden.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add processed onion-seasonings mixture to pan and saute about 4 minutes, stirring constantly, scraping pan often to prevent from sticking and burning.
- Add chicken to pan, tossing to coat thoroughly, then add tomatoes, peas and 1/3 cup water.
- Increase heat to medium, cover pan, and let simmer 25 min; uncover and continue to cook until sauce is thickened and chicken is very tender.
- Fold in raisins and continue to cook just long enough to heat through.
- Spread a bed of rice on each of 4 plates or shallow bowls, pile chicken and sauce over rice, then spoon yogurt over the top.
Loved this! Followed the recipe except discovered I forgot to buy yogurt and it was still very good. Just the right amount of spiciness. Smells fabulous while cooking and quick to put together. Will make this again! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Wonderful! Out of laziness, I used whole, skinless, bone-in chicken thighs. Delicious and simple to make.