Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
There are a lot of chicken chili recipes on Zaar but this one is a little different and worthy of posting.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 envelopes lipton golden onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 3 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- chopped fresh cilantro
- tortilla chips
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat; add in the next 7 ingredients.
- Cook and stir constantly (make sure the spices don't burn) for 4 minutes.
- Add in the water, tomato sauce, and beer; bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low; add in the chicken and beans.
- Cook uncovered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the chili is thick.
- To serve: place tortilla chips into individual serving bowls and ladle chili on top OR ladle chili into individual serving bowls and serve tortilla chips on the side; top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and chopped cilantro if desired.
This was delicious--my husband said it was the best (chicken) chili he has ever eaten! I didn't have beer, so used dry white wine. I actually cooked the chicken with the spices and the crushed tomatoes--did not want to use tomato sauce. I added one bay leave and cooked my own beans, then added to the chili when ready. Thanks for sharing this easy, delicious recipe. Will make it often! (For the people who like it more spicy, like my husband: add hot sauce to your dish or increase the chili.)