Recipe by Shakin_Bakin_Mom
My mother in law gave me this handed down recipe as a welcome to the family gesture 20+ years ago and it's still the best one I've come across. It's the flakiest crust I've ever made and fairly easy too. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by jmorel
My mother gave me this recipe years 30+ years ago, and it hasn't failed me yet. Make sure you use all-purpose flour. I used bread flour once and it didn't roll out as well. My husband raves about my pies to everyone - he is in love with this crust!
- 4 cups flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable shortening
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the flour, shortening, sugar and salt.
- Beat together the egg, vinegar and water.
- Combine the two mixtures and then chill for no less than 15 minutes.
- Divide dough in three for three 8 inch double crust pies or into two for two 9 inch double crust pies and roll out accordingly.