Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Salsa from a jar is fine, but once you've tried super fresh and zingy salsa fresca (fresca means fresh!), you'll never go back! This salsa uses a giant can of diced tomatoes, but fresh work great too. You can use any size can (except tomato sauce or paste), and just chop tomatoes finer with scissors or in a food processor. <br> SAFETY TIP: Jalapenos burn the eyes if you rub the oil from the seeds on your face. Wash your hands and tools VERY well after cutting jalapenos, and wear rubber gloves if you have any.
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 4 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 fresh jalapeno peppers or 1 tablespoon canned jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 sweet bell pepper, diced (green is best)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced or 2 teaspoons prepared minced garlic, in oil
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh cilantro or 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1 limes, juice of or 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Dice up all veggies quite finely with a chopping knife, or in a food processor.
- Open the can of tomatoes and empty into a large bowl. Use scissors or a food processor to chop up any large chunks.
- Stir everything into the bowl and season to taste.
- Salsa is best served with tortilla chips or on tacos, and can be stored in a container in the fridge for 1 week.
- To juice a lime, cut it in half and squeeze the juice out. It's easier to mash the insides with a fork.