Recipe by Jubal Harshaw
A dish from Everyday Italian on the Food Network.
Top Review by Jenny M
Really wonderful! I see why Giada scores the highest ratings out of any recipe listed on foodnetwork.com for this one! Just wanted to point out that I always have chicken on hand thanks to Crock Pot Shredded Chicken Breasts for Freezing - OAMC By Babzy from this site. If you have this done ahead of time, you'll skip 5 of the steps in this recipe! I served mine with Fresh Peach Cobbler (Paula Deen) By Marie on this site which was fantastic too:)
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb white mushroom, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces linguine
- 3⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, dried
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of butter over a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish.
- Melt 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil in a deep large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the hot pan and cook until pale golden and just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate to cool slightly.
- Coarsely shred the chicken into bite-size pieces and into a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil to the same pan.
- Add the mushrooms and saute over medium-high heat until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates and the mushrooms become pale golden, about 12 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, and thyme, and saute until the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer until it evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mushroom mixture to the bowl with the chicken.
- Melt 3 more tablespoons butter in the same pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the flour and whisk for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk, cream, broth, nutmeg, remaining 1 3/4 teaspoons salt, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Increase the heat to high.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the linguine and cook until it is tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 9 minutes. Drain.
- Add the linguine, sauce, peas, and parsley to the chicken mixture.
- Toss until the sauce coats the pasta and the mixture is well blended.
- Transfer the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Stir the cheese and breadcrumbs in a small bowl to blend.
- Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the pasta. Dot with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter.
- Bake, uncovered, until golden brown on top and the sauce bubbles, about 25 minutes.