This travels beautifully on family car trips, to picnics and for tailgate parties. Meat amounts are "suggestions" so use whatever meats strike your fancy! We like to add a quick smear of mayo to the bread with the olive oil too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 325; preheat small frying pan.
- 2Cut a large rectangle of foil (to be wrapped around entire loaf when sandwich is filled); set the loaf on one half of this.
- 3Slice loaf through width-wise/horizontally; remove top and set aside. (If you are adding any mayo or mustard, smear this over the bread halves now.).
- 4Into hot frying pan, pour olive oil, then add onion slices; saute until lightly golden; arrange over bottom half of bread.
- 5Layer remaining ingredients, ending with tomato and cheese slices; cover with remaining bread.
- 6Bring foil up and seal edges.
- 7Pop sandwich-foil in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
- 8Remove foil (or leave sandwich in and transport to picnic), cut loaf into 8 wedges; serve warm.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Focaccia Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.0
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 69.2 mg
- Sodium 1257.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 26.9 g