Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This travels beautifully on family car trips, to picnics and for tailgate parties. Meat amounts are "suggestions" so use whatever meats strike your fancy! We like to add a quick smear of mayo to the bread with the olive oil too.
- Preheat oven to 325; preheat small frying pan.
- Cut a large rectangle of foil (to be wrapped around entire loaf when sandwich is filled); set the loaf on one half of this.
- Slice loaf through width-wise/horizontally; remove top and set aside. (If you are adding any mayo or mustard, smear this over the bread halves now.).
- Into hot frying pan, pour olive oil, then add onion slices; saute until lightly golden; arrange over bottom half of bread.
- Layer remaining ingredients, ending with tomato and cheese slices; cover with remaining bread.
- Bring foil up and seal edges.
- Pop sandwich-foil in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove foil (or leave sandwich in and transport to picnic), cut loaf into 8 wedges; serve warm.