Recipe by Debber
This travels beautifully on family car trips, to picnics and for tailgate parties. Meat amounts are "suggestions" so use whatever meats strike your fancy! We like to add a quick smear of mayo to the bread with the olive oil too.
Top Review by rickoholic83
Excellent, excellent, excellent! I took this to my niece's birthday party and it was gone within 10 minutes of setting it on the table! :) I used an olive and cheese focaccia and pepperoni instead of salami. This is definitely a sandwich I will make often. Thanks so much for sharing, Debber!
- 1 loaf focaccia bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced (thin)
- 8 ounces sliced ham
- 8 ounces sliced smoked turkey
- 4 ounces hard salami, sliced (or pepperoni)
- 1 tomatoes, sliced (very thin)
- 1 lb provolone cheese, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325; preheat small frying pan.
- Cut a large rectangle of foil (to be wrapped around entire loaf when sandwich is filled); set the loaf on one half of this.
- Slice loaf through width-wise/horizontally; remove top and set aside. (If you are adding any mayo or mustard, smear this over the bread halves now.).
- Into hot frying pan, pour olive oil, then add onion slices; saute until lightly golden; arrange over bottom half of bread.
- Layer remaining ingredients, ending with tomato and cheese slices; cover with remaining bread.
- Bring foil up and seal edges.
- Pop sandwich-foil in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove foil (or leave sandwich in and transport to picnic), cut loaf into 8 wedges; serve warm.