Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
Creamy yet still airy and fluffy! The secret is freshly squeezed lime juice!
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Combine graham, butter, and powdered sugar in mixer until well mixed, then press into a 9-inch pie plate. (Optional: Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes, just until you can begin to smell the crust baking.) Freeze crust until needed.
- Grate the zest from one full lime. Squeeze the juice from fresh limes to make 1/3 cup (approximately 1 1/2 limes) of juice.
- Whisk together sugar, yolks, zest, and lime juice in a double boiler and heat until they form a custard. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Whip egg whites to stiff peaks and then beat in sugar.
- Fold egg whites into custard.
- Whip cream and confectioner's sugar together to stiff peaks. Fold into custard mixture.
- Gently spread the custard mixture into the pie crust and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours.