Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This frosting is really meant to added in to already prepared frosting as a booster to provide a more fluffy texture, just make certain to beat very well when added to prepared frosting.
Top Review by NoDramaMama
This recipe has been in my family for DECADES. My mother makes it with all shortening, no butter, which gives you a snow white frosting that is stable at room temp. I prefer the half butter version. My best tip is to get the flour/milk cooked and cooled so that it resembles a thick pudding, and to use extra fine sugar (you can just pulse regular sugar in a blender or food processor if you don't want to buy it), which gets it smooth as silk. This is our frosting of choice for just about every cake recipe, it is WONDERFUL on cupcakes and even makes a great filling for homemade donuts :)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, whisk and cook the flour and half and half until thick.
- Set aside to cool (keep mixture covered while cooling).
- In a bowl, beat sugar, butter and shortening with mixer until fluffy.
- Add milk mixture with vanilla; continue beating until fluffy.
- Food colouring may be added if desired.