Cherry Angel Food Cake & Cherry Fluff Frosting
photo by Tinkerbell
- Ready In:
- 16 ounces angel food cake mix
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- water, to add to cherry liquid
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon reserved cherry juice
- 1 large egg white
- 3⁄4 cup marshmallow cream (1/2 of 7 oz jar)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped maraschino cherry (optional)
- Place a rack in center of oven.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Set aside an ungreased tube pan.
- Dump angel food cake mix in large mixing bowl.
- Drain juice from maraschino cherries, reserving 1 tbsp for frosting.
- To remaining maraschino cherry juice, add enough water to equal 1 1/4 cups liquid.
- Pour this liquid along with almond and vanilla extract into dry cake mix in bowl.
- Beat with electric mixer on low for 1 minute and stop and scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula. Increase speed to medium and beat for 1 minute more.Scraping down sides of bowl if necessary. Batter should look well blended.
- Pour batter into pan.smoothing top with rubber spatula.
- Place pan in oven on rack and bake till deeply browned and top springs back when lightly touched with fingers, about 38-42 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately invert onto a glass bottle neck upside down to cool for 1 hour.
- Remove from bottle and run a long knife around sides of cake.
- Invert onto cooling rack and then invert onto serving platter.
- Prepare cherry fluff frosting.
- Place reserved cherry juice, sugar, and egg white into a medium size saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, beating continuously with electic mixer on high speed, till soft peaks forms (2-3 minutes).
- Remove pan from heat and add marshmallow cream and beat with electric mixer on high till stiff peaks form.about 2 minutes. Fold in chopped cherries, is using.
- Spread frosting over top and halfway down sides of angel food cake and serve immediately.
- We usually don't have any leftovers, so I am not sure how well this stores.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this for my husbands birthday. I thought it would be the perfect cake for him because it combines two of his favorites - angel food cake and cherries. Needless to say it was a big hit. He loved it. :) I thought It was a nice way to dress up a boxed cake mix. Very easy to put together as well. We thought the cherry flavor really came through. Very good cake. Thank you! (tagged for Think Pink Event '09)
Cherries and angel food, yummy! This was such a super, easy twist for a boxed angel food mix. 3 of us ate this in one night. Only complaint I have is that it was a bit to sweet. Next time I probably won't use all the iceing. Very pretty too! Looks like it took all day. I covered the top with cherry halves and some walnuts. Thanks Grandma!
I needed the cherry fluff frosting for an angel food cake that I'd already made. I'll be sure to try this cake recipe in the future though. I love the frosting! It was so easy & quick to make. I'll be using that again for sure. I added two drops of red food coloring to the frosting after the marshmallow creme made it a little too white for my purposes. Thanks so much for sharing, grandma! Made for Oct 08 Think Pink tag.
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love cooking, and reading Christian fiction..I have 5 grandchildren..4 boys and 1 spoiled granddaughter...I also have a black cocker spaniel named Tobey..who is very spoiled..Love computer games, cross stitch and reading cookbooks..I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia almost a year ago, on September 26, 2005....was in an out of the hospital for 8 months, doing intensive chemo...I am doing well now, thanks for all the prayers...