Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I wanted to invite a gluten-free friend over for Cinco de Mayo and found this recipe for gluten-free tortillas from a celiac website.
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- First mix all the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour 1/3 a cup of the mixture into a good nonstick medium sized frying pan (I have also made these on a griddle but that requires picking up the griddle and tilting it to make larger rounds). Tilt the pan in alternating directions to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Cook on medium-high heat until the edges begin to pull up from the pan. You will need to pull up on the edge (fingers work better than a spatula - but be careful) and flip the tortilla. If the tortilla breaks try cooking it longer before flipping or you may need to use non-stick spray on the pan.
- Flip the tortilla ever 2 minutes or so until it puffs up like a balloon. After each tortilla you will need to let the pan cool down a little before starting the next one(Otherwise you get holes in the tortillas - you can use 3 pans and alternate between them).
- Let the tortillas cool for 10 minutes or so and they will become flimsy.