Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have only made this once, but remember how good it tasted. Serve with a salad.
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 (284 g) package fresh spinach, rinsed and stems removed
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg, seperated
- 250 g thinly sliced cooked ham or 250 g turkey (OR a combo of both)
- 1 pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 (300 g) packagesliced swiss cheese or 1 (325 g) packagethinly sliced old cheddar cheese
- 1 can mushroom, drained
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- In a large skillet saute onions in butter until soft.
- Add garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add spanach, cover and cook just until spinach wilts.
- Drain very well and set aside.
- Whisk together 3 eggs and 1 egg white.
- Line a 9" pie plate with pastry.
- Layer half the meat,red pepper,cheese, and spinach; cover with half the egg mixture.
- Repeat layers ending with beaten egg.
- Cover with pastry,seal, and crimp edges.
- Brush top with remaining egg yolk blended with a bit of water; slit surface.
- Bake pie on cookie sheet 45 to 60 min.
- or until golden brown.
- Serve warm or cool.