Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My kids love French onion soup, without the onion! They like broth and only the broth with the cheese covered crouton. UGH. I combined the best part of 2 recipes to come up with this one. The longer you simmer the soup, the more intense the flavor. You can make it ahead, turn off the heat and allow it to sit on the stove top until ready to assemble and put in the oven. For the picky kids, I make noodles and ladle the broth over the noodles. Everyone is happy!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups beef stock, sub. broth
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 1 pinch thyme
- pepper, to taste
- 4 slices swiss cheese, ie. Jahlsberg Lite
- 1 French baguette, oven toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add sliced onions and garlic to butter; saute until softened.
- Turn down the heat to a simmer.
- Add beef stock, wine, thyme, bay leaf, and pepper to onions. Continue to simmer at lowest heat for up to 60 minutes.
- At this point, you can turn off the heat and set aside until ready to assemble. Reheat soup before assembly into bowls. Remove bay leaf.
- Cut baguette into 4, 1" thick slices. Place on a baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes.
- Ladle soup into 4 oven proof bowls. Place a toasted crouton on top the soup, top with cheese slice and bake or broil until cheese is melted.
Excellent Hearty Beefy