Recipe by BakinBaby
You can serve the Flat Iron Steak with or without the sauce, but I highly recommend the sauce, sometimes I actually double the recipe. Brandy can be substituted for Cognac and sometimes I use boullion cubes to make my own broth as a $$ saver. The Hot Sauce is the bottled sauce in the hispanic food section, not chunky salsa, the label reads "Salsa Picante, Mexican Hot Sauce". Prep time does not include marinating time.
Top Review by diner524
Fantastic!!! Loved the flavor from the marinade, then the seasoning and the wonderful onion sauce!!! I made this as written with the exception of using skirt steak and only 1/2 lb, my store rarely has flat iron steaks. I still made 1/2 of the marinade and sauce and eyeballed the seasonings for our taste. I would definitely recommend doubling the sauce/onion part for any recipe!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Photo Tag Game.
- 2 lbs flat iron steaks
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (Valentina,El Pato or Tabasco )
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup shallot (white onions can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half (whipping cream can be used also)
- 1⁄2 cup cognac (or brandy)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wisk together marinade ingredients, pour into a large ziplock bag, add steak; squish around until combined, refrigerate for 1-6 hours.
- While grill is heating, remove steak from marinade, pat dry and sprinkle seasoning rub on both sides.
- Grill steak 5 minute on first side and 3-4 on other side.
- Remove from grill, To serve; cut in thin slices.
- Cognac Sauce:.
- While steak is marinading, saute shallots in butter for about 4 minute add brown sugar, cook another minute, add broth and cognac, simmer until sauce has reduced to 1/2 cup (about 20 min.), Add cream, stir until heated through.
- Serve over grilled meat.