Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
You can serve the Flat Iron Steak with or without the sauce, but I highly recommend the sauce, sometimes I actually double the recipe. Brandy can be substituted for Cognac and sometimes I use boullion cubes to make my own broth as a $$ saver. The Hot Sauce is the bottled sauce in the hispanic food section, not chunky salsa, the label reads "Salsa Picante, Mexican Hot Sauce". Prep time does not include marinating time.
- 2 lbs flat iron steaks
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (Valentina,El Pato or Tabasco )
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup shallot (white onions can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half (whipping cream can be used also)
- 1⁄2 cup cognac (or brandy)
- Wisk together marinade ingredients, pour into a large ziplock bag, add steak; squish around until combined, refrigerate for 1-6 hours.
- While grill is heating, remove steak from marinade, pat dry and sprinkle seasoning rub on both sides.
- Grill steak 5 minute on first side and 3-4 on other side.
- Remove from grill, To serve; cut in thin slices.
- Cognac Sauce:.
- While steak is marinading, saute shallots in butter for about 4 minute add brown sugar, cook another minute, add broth and cognac, simmer until sauce has reduced to 1/2 cup (about 20 min.), Add cream, stir until heated through.
- Serve over grilled meat.
Fantastic!!! Loved the flavor from the marinade, then the seasoning and the wonderful onion sauce!!! I made this as written with the exception of using skirt steak and only 1/2 lb, my store rarely has flat iron steaks. I still made 1/2 of the marinade and sauce and eyeballed the seasonings for our taste. I would definitely recommend doubling the sauce/onion part for any recipe!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Photo Tag Game.