Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
For the fall there is nothing like a crock-pot cooking a hearty dish. This recipe is a classic when combined with buttered steamed spinach, oven roasted potatoes, and a full flavored red wine such as Barola, a Rhone, or a California Merlot.
- 16 large basil leaves
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 4 slices swiss cheese (thin slices)
- 2 sweet Italian sausage links
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- string, to tie flank steak
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 cup dry red wine (Burgundy)
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Arrange basil leaves to cover flank steak, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Place Swiss cheese slices on top of basil leaves.
- Place sausages end to end lengthwise down the center of the steak.
- Starting on one end of steak, roll the steak over the sausage. Tie with string to secure. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add steak roll and brown on all sides, about five minutes.
- Transfer steak roll to crock pot, seam side up. Scrape all browned bits & oil into crock.
- Add onions, garlic, wine, beef broth, red wine vinegar, bay leaves, and chopped basil.
- Medium setting for 6-8 hours.
- Drain juices into sauce pan, boil gently for five minutes to reduce. Place in gravy server.
- Slice steak roll into serving portions. Serve with gravy.