My family loves this! The combination of meat, marinade, cheese, and veggies tastes great and looks like you slaved for hours! You can change the ingredients to suit your taste and your diet. A great way to get kids to eat veggies!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 cup chopped onions or 1⁄8 cup shallot
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cups raw spinach or 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1⁄3 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1⁄3 cup roasted red pepper (sold bottled)
- 1⁄8 cup garlic butter (optional)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb flank steak
- In a large ziploc bag, mix marinade ingredients together thoroughly.
- I have also used bottled steak marinade if necessary.
- Flatten the flank steak on a cutting board and pound flat with a meat mallet or the bottom of a glass.
- Add meat to marinade and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove steak from marinade and spread garlic butter (if using) over the flat side of the steak. Layer chopped onion, bread crumbs, red peppers, spinach leaves, and cheese.
- Roll the steak up like a jelly roll and tie with string or close with toothpicks.
- Place the roll in a greased baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 1/2 hour rare, 45 minutes for medium, and 1 hour for well done. Let stand 10 minutes, then slice into 1 inch slices to serve.
- I have also used garlic herb cream cheese in place of the shredded cheese and butter.